Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I'm expected to retire?

When are you going to retire?

Innocent question in and of itself, however, I was asked the question by the president of the company I work for. He isn't looking to get rid of me early. He just wants me to hire my replacement two years before leaving so I can train she or he.

After wiping the sweat off my brow, I answered his question: 5 years.

I had no idea where that number came from. I'm 58 and in 5 years I'll be 63. That sounds like a good number to retire at, right?


I have no clue. Right now 63 is just a number not an age. I've having trouble even thinking of me as 60.


It's only been the last year or so that I've noticed the signs of old age creeping into my face and my hands. Spots, wrinkles and overall skin tone are showing my age. All inevitable, even retirement is inevitable but moveable. You could've retired at 30 without an indent where you smile.
So where on my life's timespan do I move the little retirement indicator? I don't know and it scares me.

The golden years, what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment